The writing and visual art at IthacaLit is the best work we have found from among many submissions sent our way by emerging & established writers and artists. We ask that you wander through IthacaLit and land where you feel at home. Use that place to connect your work first to us and next to our readers. We publish work that brings readers home. We search not for distance but for connection through your voice and vision.
Please submit a jpeg hi-resolution image of your new book along with an author image and bio and include at least one blurb from the back cover for promotion on the front page of IthacaLit's next issue.
You may submit a professionally written book review from a writer who is not you (verified through email) in our non-fiction submissions.
You may request [firstname.lastname@example.org] a review from our editors at an additional cost of $50.00.
- Your book will be promoted with a front-page promotional text block of 250 words or less.
- Your book will be promoted with a front-page bio of 150 words or less.
- We include two (2) images: either the cover and an author photo or the cover front and back.
- Reviews appear on a separate page in Non-Fiction in the same or a future issue, depending on timing and layout.
The winning poet receives $1,000.00 & publication in the winter issue.
- The winning poem is announced with publication in the winter issue of IthacaLit.
- Two Honorable Mention titles will be announced for publication in the winter issue.
- Finalists will be invited to accept publication in the spring issue at the editors' discretion.
- The guest judge chooses the winning poem from a selection chosen by the editors.
All submissions will be accepted only during the reading period.
All submissions are read blind by the final judge.
Please note: multiple poems must be uploaded as one file.
- Please submit 3-5 original, unpublished poems.
- Please include your brief bio and a jpeg author photo.
- We tend not to publish prose or epic poems.
Simultaneous submissions accepted, but please let us know as soon as your work has been accepted elsewhere.
We want poetry that connects readers to voices-of-witness, to a life lived, through the music and imagery of poetic language. We hope this moment of witness connects our readers with that song, the grace note from your experience of this world.
We value the work we publish but regret that we are unable to offer payment at this time. IthacaLit is an independently funded journal begun and run on a limited budget since 2011.
Poems are chosen by the editors, and we understand that good work may be rejected due to our perception of IthacaLit as a whole.
- INTERVIEWS with artists or writers.
- CRAFT ESSAYS focused on the process of art and writing.
- BOOK REVIEWS of new books of poetry, fiction, or non-fiction.
- Clarity, wit, and depth of purpose are key.
Interviews must be of interest to writers, not vanity profiles. We're not all that concerned with knowing if the artist/writer likes cats or kangaroos.
We'll also consider short creative non-fiction that is humorous but has an underlying depth.